Monday, May 2, 2011

Journal 2: NETS II - IV

Ferguson, H. (2010). Join the flock!. Learning and Leading with Technology, 37(8), Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/Leading_and_Learning_Docs/June_July_2010_Join_the_Flock.sflb.ashx

Miller, S.M. (2010). Enhance your twitter experience. Leading and Learning With Technology, 37(8), Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/Leading_and_Learning_Docs/June_July_2010_Join_the_Flock.sflb.ashx




The first article is about the social network, Twitter.  For so long, I refused to get Facebook, I was fine with Myspace.  A few years later and I simply cannot get enough of it.  Not long ago, I refused to get a Twitter, and then who would have known, my very own professor would assign us to create one.  I never understood the fascination behind it.  However, after reviewing this article, my reluctance to the world of Twitter is at an all-time low.  This article breaks Twitter down into segments that make it much easier to understand.  At first, I thought of Twitter as a way for those with “Bieber fever” to know exactly what he’s doing at every second of every day.  Now, my ignorance towards this social network has diminished, and I realize that Twitter could actually be beneficial in my classroom.  Through one’s own Personal Learning Network, they can expand their knowledge beyond the classroom, and into the wonderful world of tweets. 
Question 1: Will I ever be able to use Twitter in my classroom of Kindergarteners?
To be completely honest, while I feel as though Kindergarteners are cognitively at the level of being able to use the internet, there wouldn’t be much for my students to do with the Twitter website.  The furthest I could go is having them post daily activities they did.  However, if I were to teach higher grade levels, I do feel as though this could be beneficial.
Question 2: Could using Twitter in the classroom have its flaws?
Absolutely.  Anytime you give children a keyboard, a mouse, and the freedom to write, there are risks.  But you cannot be breathing over their necks at every waking moment.  With freedom comes great responsibility and as long as your students have that understanding, very few “problems” will persist.

No comments:

Post a Comment