Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Journal 5: Nets I

Boehmer, Curtis. (2011). Brain teaching with video games. Learning and Leading, 38(5), 28-30. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/digital-edition-february-march-2011.aspx


This article is about Brain Ware Safari.  It is a program that is used to help children develop their mental processing skills through attention skills, visualization, sequential processing, patterns, relationships, and other mental processes.  One study shows that it has an average of four years of cognitive growth in just three months.  The program uses videogames as a way to keep its subjects engaged.  Who would have thought, the use of videogames as tools for learning.  Studies have shown that using videogames to help children learn is actually beneficial.  It helps them think at a higher level, it improves their cognitive skills, and provides mental processing skills. 
Question 1: Will I use this in my classroom?
Absolutely.  I’ve never been one to bash on technology.  I’m always up for trying new things that could better my classroom.  Now I wouldn’t want to be one of those parents that uses game consoles to babysit, and I certainly would not want to be a teacher who solely used these as a way to get out of teaching but using it to help me, why not?
Question 2: What would be some flaws with this program?
Students may become so engaged in this program that when it comes time for face to face lessons, they may not find it as interesting, and only want to play the games.  This could be an obstacle but if managed correctly, face time will be just as beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment